Champignon poisoning: symptoms
Rarely, one wonders if it is possible to poison mushrooms. Unfortunately, it is possible, and even there is a serious threat of death. It would seem that the most harmless and common in industrial cultivation of champignon can become hazardous to health. How to provide first aid in case of poisoning and what to do to prevent it, is further in the article.
Many people adore mushrooms in any form and consume them in large quantities, without thinking that even a purchased product in a store can lead to irreparable consequences. If it is undercooked or undercooked, this can also lead to intoxication of the body very quickly.
In addition, there are toxic varieties of this plant, which many do not even suspect. A person who has received food poisoning with mushrooms must be sent to the hospital by any means necessary. The most dangerous thing is that if you do not recognize or ignore the symptoms of poisoning in time, everything can be fatal.
Did you know? Japanese scientists have found that champignons have a beneficial effect on mental activity and memory, and are also good for the prevention of atherosclerosis due to the high concentration of arginine and lysine in the fruit body.
To avoid the sad consequences, there are several rules that a person must observe not only when harvesting a forest, but even when eating mushrooms in store.
The following recommendations should be followed:
- When harvesting in the forest, only the types of mushrooms known to you should be collected. There is doubt that edible - categorically not to take;
- Before cooking, you need to wash and clean;
- cook only according to a well-known, proven recipe;
- it is forbidden to pick mushrooms near industries, roads, in ecologically dirty areas, because the plant absorbs all toxins from the air and accumulates them in the fruit body;
- avoid old, overripe and very young champignons, as well as other varieties that have still not clearly expressed external signs;
- you can’t harvest during a drought, there is a change in metabolism in the fruit body, water is lost, and the product becomes toxic;
- it is dangerous to buy this delicacy in natural markets and roadside sellers;
- raw mushroom is strictly forbidden to eat, poisoning can also be done if undercooked or undercooked;
- first it is necessary to thoroughly rinse and boil, it is advisable to boil twice (each time in clean water), after the second boil - boil for another 15–20 minutes;
- ready meals are stored for no more than a day in enameled dishes in the refrigerator.
Important! In the common basket quite often one poisonous mushroom can accidentally end up. At the first boiling, throw the peeled onion and boil with the crop. If the bulb turns blue or turns purple, do not regret it, throw out the entire crop, since all the mushrooms have become poisonous.
Causes of poisoning
It is important to understand that not only forest champignon can be poisonous, but also one that can be cultivated on an industrial scale. You can go to a hospital bed for various reasons. The human body has an individual intolerance to certain products.
There are certain chemicals in the fruit body that are hard to digest. They are poorly tolerated by some people, so unexpected poisoning can happen, even if you eat a meal in the general company. Dangers are toxins that are in the fruit body and do not disappear anywhere during cooking.
The entire basket of forest prey can be spoiled by the poisonous “double” of champignon or another species that accidentally gets into the mushroom’s ignorance and inexperience. Dangerous toxins (poisons) cause poisoning of the whole body. These poisons have varying degrees of exposure and affect organs that suffer from them in the first place.
In this regard, the symptoms of poisoning will be different and, accordingly, the necessary treatment. Statistics show that not always on time provided medical assistance helps a person to survive. Especially many childhood deaths when children walk unattended and can eat anything unnoticed by adults. It is often impossible to immediately find out what a child ate on the street and what poisoned him, so valuable time is wasted.
An easily accessible product on a store counter is not always safe. Unscrupulous sellers can mix late payments into a fresh batch of forest delicacies. In the general mass, it is difficult to examine old, wormy specimens, and it is generally impossible to detect collected on roads, in industrial or environmentally dirty areas without laboratory research.
Did you know? Champignons were first discovered more than 1000 years ago. They began to grow them industrially in the 13th century in Europe.
The tissues of the fruiting body accumulate toxins and salts of heavy metals, which lead to serious health problems, disorders and food poisoning.
Uncooked mushrooms can be a great danger. These include canned delicacies. With improper preparation or other disturbed technological processes, bacteria multiply actively and toxins are released. If preservation is delayed, irreversible processes begin in it, and it is strictly forbidden to consume such products.
Canned champignons can trigger a serious illness - botulism. Often the spore-bearing sticks of botulism fall into the jar when fruit bodies and hats are poorly washed from the ground, where they live. At home, there is not all the necessary opportunities for the complete destruction of the causative agent of botulism. In a hermetically sealed jar without oxygen access, a favorable environment is created for the development of a toxic toxin.
Signs of champignon poisoning
The first signs of poisoning appear after 1.5–2 hours. In some cases, they can occur almost immediately or within 30 minutes, and sometimes on the second, third day after use.
- Symptoms in which you immediately need to go to the hospital are as follows:
- nausea and vomiting;
- severe thirst and dry mouth;
- severe drowsiness;
- general weakness;
- acute pain in the abdomen;
- cold limbs of arms and legs;
- weak pulse;
- temperature increase up to 38 ° С;
- impaired breathing and heart function;
- blue lips and nails;
- loss or confusion of consciousness;
- inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract.
Poisonous forest mushroom, such as amanita or pale grebe, provokes more severe symptoms: delirium, hallucinations, mental disorders, excessive sweating and salivation, constricted pupils, anuria, jaundice, pulmonary edema, com. If one or more symptoms occur, it is urgent to provide medical assistance and to deliver the person to the hospital as soon as possible.
Important! So that the doctor accurately diagnoses and selects the correct treatment, the mushrooms with which the person was poisoned cannot be thrown out. They need to be given to the doctor for examination.
First aid for poisoning
The main thing is not to panic and quickly navigate the situation. The life of a person will depend on the correctness and timeliness of medical care.
The following instructions should be observed:
- When the first symptoms appear, you need to immediately call an ambulance or deliver the victim to the nearest hospital.
- It is necessary to observe bed rest.
- Drink plenty of water and rinse your stomach. The more fluid that enters the body, the faster toxins are eliminated from it. It is especially necessary to perform the procedure for vomiting, nausea and diarrhea, as the body is dehydrated. As a drink, cold clean water, strong tea (chilled), a weak solution of potassium permanganate, mineral water are suitable.
- Allow to take enterosorbents.
- If the patient does not vomit and does not go to the toilet, an enema is necessary to remove toxins from the body.
- A sparing diet for a quick recovery of the digestive system.
With the timely and proper provision of medical care, the patient recovers in 1–2 days. In more severe cases, the body can recover up to 2 months
Complications and consequences
Mushroom poisoning does not pass without a trace.
- They affect various systems and organs, leading to the following consequences:
- toxic substances affect the tubules of the nephron and cause severe disruption of the kidneys to acute renal failure;
- first of all, there is a big load on the liver, which provokes liver failure;
- heart function worsens;
- the gastric mucosa is affected, bleeding may open (vomiting and dark diarrhea), the pressure drops sharply;
- may lead to severe spasm of the bronchi and bronchioles, as a result of which respiratory arrest may occur;
- fatal outcome - in rare cases.
When eating champignons, it is important to properly process and cook them. Also, be careful about canned products. At the first slightest symptoms of poisoning, you should immediately go to the hospital.