The butterflies turned pink after cooking: reasons
Oil mushrooms are considered one of the best mushrooms, due to their excellent taste, a variety of processing methods and excellent digestibility by the body. They gained popularity among mushroom pickers due to their high productivity and the absence of toxic doubles. However, there is some point that is beginning to raise doubts among mushroom beginners - the redness of mushrooms during cooking. They have concerns about the quality of mushrooms and the possibility of their further safe use in food. This moment is absolutely not scary for professional mushroom pickers, because they know what could be the reason. More on this in the rest of our material.
Causes of pinking
All mushroom pickers who have begun processing it after harvesting should remember that the oils will never redden or turn pink during heat treatment.
Did you know? Oil mushrooms can slightly change their color towards dark blue only on the cut due to reaction with air, at all other stages of processing, these mushrooms, on the contrary, brighten, while keeping the broth also light.
If this fact manifests itself, and reddened specimens are found in the water during cooking, then these are double mushrooms, Belonging to the same family as the butterflies - the so-called kids. They contain a substance that can change the color of mushrooms during boiling. Even experienced mushroom pickers cannot immediately distinguish closely-related types of oils, since they grow in pine forests at the same time and have the same chemical composition.
If the crop during cooking is partially painted pink, do not be upset, because kids, like all counterparts, are oily, harmless and not particularly tasteful. The only problem in this situation is the unappetizing appearance of the finished dish, however, this can also be used as an original addition.
Is it possible to poison
All double mushrooms are edible and have the same properties and taste characteristics, which means that there is no reason to worry when similar mushrooms are found. The family of butter is absolutely impossible to confuse with poisonous mushrooms, so there can be no danger.
Important! Oysters are often affected by insects and worms, and if you do not collect them on time, then the larvae of the worms will leave metabolic products in the tissues of the fungus. Cutting out damaged areas does not make sense, since the fungus is already completely damaged and dangerous to health, it can cause allergies and intoxication. This is why mushrooms with such damage must be excluded.
Mushrooms, which changed their color during the heat treatment, do not change the palatability of the dish, are quite edible and are no different from butter in the processing and harvesting methods for the winter.
At the time of preliminary preparation of the harvested oil, undesirable specimens can be identified that will color the rest of the crop. It is not very easy to do this, but perhaps you just need to inspect the mushrooms well and identify such differences:
To get a guarantee of color constancy, even after visual inspection, it is better to play it safe and add 2 tbsp. To cooking water. l 6% vinegar or 0.2 g of citric acid. You can use any type of vinegar - table, grape, apple, etc. If such mushrooms are used in broth or gravy, you can add tomato paste, which will make the color natural.
All doubles are equally edible and healthy, the only fear that can arise when meeting with a double is not the aesthetic appearance of the finished dishes, but here you can find a lot of options to fix it. For example, use sauces or gravy in ready-made dishes, add bright spices. The main thing is that the taste characteristics of these mushrooms are always at the highest level and do not pose any danger.